Vintage Seikos

The forum for Gruen, Elgin, Hamilton, Bulova, Cyma, Waltham, Benrus, Seiko, Citizen, Timex etc.
Platinum WFF-member

Vintage Seikos

Postby WatchFreak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 am

Looking through my collection, I've noticed that most of my Seiko watches are between 20 and 30 years old. It continually amazes me just how long these things run! With a little TLC once in a while, they outlast many brands. One of my oldest tanks is dated 1978, and it still keeps great time.

I had one that I bought about a year ago that had come to a stop. Even after the battery was replaced, it wasn't working. I let it sit for a while, and then finally took it to a local watch store. They replaced the battery (which ran itself dead trying to power the movement. They "jump started" it for me, and it has been working fine ever since.

It seems my favorites are from 1975-1985, and those are the ones I see most of the time on Ebay. I've also discovered through research that some of them are even water resistant, even though they don't say so on the case back.

I enjoy taking my watches to the local jewelry stores, because they ALWAYS spark conversation and compliments quite frequently. "That's my favorite style. It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore," is a common thing to be heard in our conversations. It's always great to find someone who is "on the same page," regarding styles and brands.

They too are "old school," and enjoy the classic styles of their younger days. I think that they are amazed, impressed, and even shocked that a younger guy takes interest in older things. I appreciate quality, attention to detail, and workmanship (which appear to be hard to find these days.)

Even though my preferences may not be totally in style, I couldn't care less. I prefer a timeless look over the latest trend any day. My old Seikos (as well as Citizen and Pulsars) will be mainstays for the rest of my days. I've tucked away a few of the ladies versions of my favorites too, hoping I can gift that special woman with one, or all of them.

Re: Vintage Seikos

Postby JayKay » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm

WatchFreak wrote:Even though my preferences may not be totally in style, I couldn't care less. I prefer a timeless look over the latest trend any day.

Amen to that, my brother. Nice story.

Dedicated WFF-member

Postby Seiko7A38 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:30 pm

WatchFreak wrote:They too are "old school," and enjoy the classic styles of their younger days.

I hear where you're coming from. Indeed, I first heard it 25-odd years ago. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGiphyRTJ-A

Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable.
Some watches simply aren't made to last.
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion.
Some day, perhaps, all watches will be made this way.

Platinum WFF-member

Postby WatchFreak » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:44 am

This was posted almost a year ago, and I think I missed it!

Postby JayKay » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:39 am

They really do look good, even compared to the real deal.

Platinum WFF-member

Postby WatchFreak » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:22 am

True. I'm almost having second thoughts on buying a real Cartier. Not only that, the prices I find these Seikos that are very reasonable most of the time. My first NOS Seiko tank in the box was $59 almost a decade ago. As you have seen, sometimes I get them even cheaper when they are used and in decent condition. Spend some money on a nice strap, and voila! I have a nice watch that didn't cost me a fortune.

Platinum WFF-member

Postby WatchFreak » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I have tried to like the newest model Seiko that I bought a few years back, but it just doesn't even come close to the vintage ones. It comes off as a cheap knockoff to me; an imitation of itself in a past life. I look at it, and it just doesn't seem right to me. It feels cheap, and I know it. Whenever I score a vintage one in NOS condition, it's like finding the Holy Grail. I've been lucky a handful of times, and I will keep trying again.

Return to Vintage & Classic Watches