Andy Warhol's Cartier Tank on Auction!

The forum for Rolex, Cartier, Omega, Longines, Panerai, Chanel, Hublot, Baume et Mercier etc.
Platinum WFF-member

Andy Warhol's Cartier Tank on Auction!

Postby WatchFreak » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Andy Warhol's Cartier & Rolex Watches for sale

Karanvir Singh / 7 hrs ago

Credited for bringing the focus to the banality of the commercial culture of the U.S., creating and pushing the artist envelope of his time, the figure-head of the 1960s visual art movement known as ‘pop art’, the American artist and filmmaker Andy Warhol was a contemporary artist obsessed with items of the past. And, this becomes apparent from the emblematic and evocative Andy Warhol's screenprints which were inspired by Edvard Munch's "The Scream". Besides being an artist, Mr. Warhol who preferred to remain a mystery was also a collector of vintage items, which included art deco, art nouveau, watches and retro jewelry, and noted art works. And, among his heirlooms were numerous timepieces, out of which his personal timepiece, an 18 karat yellow gold Cartier Tank Solo with a black crocodile strap will be now sold by Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, along with his 1940s Rolex Rose Gold Perpetual wristwatch offered on sale at 1stdibs.

http://www.bornrich.com/andy-warhols-cartier-rolex-watches-sale.html

I know Andy LOVED his Cartier Tank watches, and due to his nature, I picture him being somewhat of a deviant. I wonder if he....never mind.

Re: Andy Warhol's Cartier Tank on Auction!

Postby JayKay » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:09 am

WatchFreak wrote:I know Andy LOVED his Cartier Tank watches, and due to his nature, I picture him being somewhat of a deviant. I wonder if he....never mind.

Hehehe.... probably :D But very interesting news, and while a regular tank would bring in maybe $1000 I bet this will go through the roof. The Rolex I can't even begin to imagine.
Great post!

Platinum WFF-member

Postby WatchFreak » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Warhol's Cartier Tank Solo watch brings 431.2% increase to US auction

Andy Warhol's Cartier Tank Solo wristwatch has sold for $10,625 in Chicago

Paul Fraser Collectibles, Saturday 10 November 2012

Andy Warhol was always at the height of fashion, so of course he wore the Cartier Tank Solo wristwatch - the epitome of style in its day.

The artist and style icon was once quoted as saying: "I don't wear a Tank watch to tell the time. In fact, I never wind it. I wear a Tank watch because it's the watch to wear." His watch has now sold as part of a November 8 auction, which took place in Chicago.

Andy Warhol Cartier Tank Wristwatch
Warhol was a legendary hoarder, as proved by the sale of his estate

The watch was first acquired at Sotheby's 1988 auction of The Andy Warhol Collection, which saw an array of objects that were cleared from the "legendary hoarder's" six-storey Manhattan townhouse following his death. The sale spanned 10 days, seeing some extraordinary results as bidders clamoured to invest in his legacy.

The Cartier watch was bought by one David Stickelber - a well known supporter of the arts - and was consigned to the present auction from his estate. A 14 karat gold piece with a black crocodile strap, it was displayed at Stickelber's home in an illuminated shadow box frame, along with a copy of the catalogue from the 1988 auction.

The watch was sold complete with its display frame for $10,625, making an impressive 431.2% increase on its $2,000 high estimate.

http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/News/Warhol's-Cartier-Tank-Solo-watch-brings-431.2pc-increase-to-US-auction/12301.page

Postby JayKay » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:38 pm

WOW! :shock:

Return to Luxury Watches